Friday, January 2, 2009

My Birthday

Today is my birthday. My birthday comes at a time of year, that is filled with many other celebrations. Everyone is "getting over" the Christmas hustle and beginning thier new year. I have always wanted a June birthday or some other time of year...anything but today, January 2nd. However, this year, my birthday makes me think about the birth of my own son. I know how I felt just before I delieverd him and he was born at the end of April...when there is virtually nothing to celebrate for months around. I was tired and cranky and not celebrating anything, but one hour without heartburn or mental exhaustion. I only wonder what my mother was going through this time 28 years ago. Not only did she have to "deal" with the holidays, but she had to do so while enduring the last month of a long miserable pregnancy...and she was 17 years old.

At age 27, I had my son. I cannot imagine being a mother at age 17. Knowing what I know now, I cannot imagine raising a child any sooner than now. It gives me great respect and admiration for my parents. They were so young; practically kids themselves. I don't know how they did it, but I am grateful that they did. So, I guess this is a message to say, Thank you, mom and dad for all that you have done and still do for me.

No comments: